Thursday, October 11, 2012

Where's my Jet Pack?


Technology is pretty amazing.  We have wafer thin phones which can 1000 more things than my first computer could do.  We have cars that have don't need keys, and can park themselves.  We have televisions that are bigger than some of the screens that were at the Eaton Centre movie theatre (when it was still open).  Great as this is, couldn't we redirect that at some other areas.


When I was a kid we were promised jet packs.  Where are they?  Why do I have to drag my sorry self onto a bus for an hour or more, or drive (concrete bound) on a crowded highway for the same amount of time.  I should be jetting across the sky to work at a speed only a Porsche on an empty highway could achieve.
virtually unchanged in my lifetime

Since that seems so far away, could I, at least, have more modern vending machines?  In Canada, we've been dealing with the same model since long before I was born.  They might have reorganized the buttons, and updated the pictures, but that's it.  In Japan, they have machines which have 24 or more choices, can serve hot or cold beverages (at the same time) and accept $100 bills.

We are putting all our technological eggs in one basket.  We are working on faster computers, more talented phones, and probably cars that can drive themselves.  Maybe we need to look in other areas to invest all this energy and innovation.  Why can't we have remote controls that don't need batteries?  We put all kinds of kinetic energy into them by using them.  We should be able to power them with that.

hot, cold, and lots of choices
Why can't we have a toaster that will evenly toast your bread, and never burn it.  We can put a rover on Mars, but I have to spend many of my precious morning minutes scraping the carbon off my breakfast.

We have the technology, but we need to think of a better way of applying it.

1 comment:

  1. I think that researching on big/weird technologies like going to Mars, are really important. Indirectly these technologies helps in the development in another areas, like health.

    But for sure, the scientists have a lot to research and develop in too many areas, on simple things like the vending machines, a simple pen, a coffee machine, a window, I don't know, there are so many things to research about...

    but, if the vending machines in Japan are better than in Canada, the problem is your government don't care about it.
    _.-*Your Government HATE Vending MachineS!*-._

    hehe

    The situation it's different on this case, because the technology exists, it just is not seen in Canada. So, you can start importing it from Japan and make a lot of money! (or not)

    ReplyDelete