Thursday, October 25, 2012

Christmas in October


It happened on the weekend.  It caught me by surprise, though you would have thought that I would know better.  I saw my first Christmas display.   We haven't even gotten to Halloween yet, and already the Christmas decorations are out.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Christmas, but shouldn't we tackle things in some sort of chronological order?  It seems a little premature to be getting ready for Christmas when you're busy looking for a costume.  (and based on the advertisements for costumes, Halloween is not a particularly holy occasion)  As a Canadian, we've already gotten Thanksgiving out of the way, so we're doing our part.  For any of my other readers, you've probably got other holidays or celebrations before Christmas, but I am sure the decorations are already out.

Again, I love Christmas, and when my shopping is done, I love all the store decorations, Christmas music, and wholesome TV shows (Maybe this year we can get a Dexter Christmas special).  I am happy that so many people go to the trouble to brighten up the world, talk about goodwill, and promote happiness.  Sadly, I am cynical and believe that some of this is more target at the quest for greater profits than the greater good.... but it still does look nice.

I have heard, though not actually seen, some people have already started turning on their Christmas lights.......... sorry, but that's just wrong, regardless of how beautiful it looks.  I am impressed if you have already hung them (or still have them up from last year), but there really is no need to turn them on until we are much closer to the holiday.  If I were a Member of Parliament I would introduce a bill banning all Christmas displays to stay packaged up until at least November 15.  If I get my message out, I might actually win on this promise alone.

1 comment:

  1. "I have heard, though not actually seen, some people have already started turning on their Christmas lights.......... "

    that's true, the same thing here in my country. I went to a mall last weekend and I saw the Santa Claus and his troop of dwarfs, and also the christmas tree.

    that's regrettable...

    ReplyDelete