Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Are Free Newspapers Really Free News


Every day I take the bus into work I am greeted at the subway station by people offering me free newspapers. Since I like news, and like to be informed (and like to occasionally glance at the Sunshine girl) I avail myself of these offers..... but I am a little cynical.

First of all, why do these papers, who are so willing to hand them out for free, often call my house (despite being on the so-called "do not call list") offering papers for what they claim is the rock bottom price.  Really, if you don't mind handing out thousands for free, why in the world would I think 25 cents is a great bargain?

Secondly, when these newspaper companies hand these newspapers out for free, are they telling their advertisers that their readership includes all these non paying customers?  That seems a little unfair, doesn't it?  Free newspapers shouldn't really be counted in the readership.

If I were less cynical, I would think that these free newspapers were part of some great marketing scheme to get more customers.  It makes sense.  If you give people a free taste, they might come back and pay for more.  Unfortunately, I am too cynical to believe this idea, especially since there really doesn't appear to be any real news, or in depth analysis in these papers--there are several crosswords and Sudokus, but in depth reporting and scathing editorials seem to be lacking.

At the same station I am offered two of the commuter papers, which have always been free, and rate less cynicism from me (that is if you don't count my general cynicism over advertising--but we should leave that for another day)  These papers, which carry the same stories as their parent company papers (which are included in the ones they are handing out for free) only edited down to fit into the stricter confines of the free paper.  While not badly written, they don't convey the whole story.

Overall, I shouldn't complain too bitterly.  I read these papers, do their Sudokus, read their sports columns, and glance at whatever else they consider news.  However, don't for a minute think that they've got me fooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment