Saturday, November 3, 2012

Walk with Purpose


I walk fast. I admit it.  I am a fast walker.  This doesn't mean I am the fastest in the world or that I can blaze by anyone, or that I should be in the Olympics.  People who are taller than I, can certainly put together much longer strides and cover a greater distance that I can.  No problem.  If you're faster than I am, great, you won't be in my way.  If you're slower than I am, then not to worry, I will blow past you and not look back (unless of course you're beautiful, then I will look back and probably crash into someone in front of me--I will look stupid, but that is the price I pay.)

 
The problem is not with the fast or the slow.  The problem rests squarely on the undecided.  You know those people.  They walk from side to side, speed up to get in front of you and then slow down.  They walk without purpose or rhythm.  I tried to go past them on the right, they veer that way.  I try to get by on the left and they amble that way.  The worst thing is that they suddenly, as if remembering that they left the stove on, stop and ponder.  I've got places to go!

I seem to attract these people because they are always in front of me.  Getting off the bus, or getting off the subway, or on the stairs when I am heading to work, or most likely, when I am heading down to the subway and it is about to depart.  The stairwell is wide enough for three people abreast, but not when they are there.  They move in an odd diagonal pattern pausing occasionally (no doubt to check their cell phone signal strength--though why it might be different on that day no one has been able to tell me) or putting their arms out as if in flight.  The train is about to leave!

The treadmill has become a popular piece of gym equipment.  I see people on them all the time, or buying them from the store.  When they get on them, they seem to understand the concept.  Why hasn't this filtered down to the real world.

I am not a patient person.  I can be, when getting to work on time, or catching a bus or subway is not critical.  Yes, another subway will be along in two minutes, but that's two minutes later.  I just want people to walk with purpose.  If I don't have to get somewhere, I won't be walking in front of you.  I'll be at a bar having drink, or sitting on a bench reading a book.  If I have to get somewhere, I won't be zigzagging directly in front of you.  If you want to pass me, please do, on either the right or left. 

No comments:

Post a Comment