Sunday, November 18, 2012

How to Organize a Bookstore



I wonder why a bookstore can't do a better job of categorizing its books.  They usually have all the standard categories, (fiction, non fiction, cooking, selfhelp...) but that just doesn't cut it any longer.  In this age of thousands of TV channels, each with their own specialty, people want (and seem to need) and respond better to narrower classifications.  That has to be the reason behind the Game Show Network, and the All Reality TV Network. (okay sometimes there can be too much specialization)

I think bookstores should, at least, add a few categories.  It wouldn't necessarily increase the number of books, but would make finding some of them easier.  I am always happy when I go to a bookstore and find that they have separated the fantasy from the science fiction.  If only my local library could separate both of them from the general fiction area I would be happier.

I don't think what I am proposing is so hard, or so radical.  They do a lot of other things to make life easier for customers (self checkout, price scanners, loyalty points, computer screens) so why not go one, lest costly, step further?

For a start, I would love to see the already noted separation of fantasy and science fiction. (and would be even happier if they put all that vampire stuff somewhere else, but if that's what's selling....well, they're not going to put it in some deep dark corner are they?)  I say this despite the fact that fantasy is what is selling these days and what dominates this section of the bookstore.

What about having a section devoted to books that were made into films? (and not books that were written after the films--because that is definitely not the same thing)  I think people would be surprised to find out how different (and usually how much better) the books were from the films.

Of course this idea will be somewhat blurred because of all the aforementioned vampire and fantasy literature which is so quickly being turned into movies, or huge budgeted properties on cable TV.  Regardless of how much of that I won't read, I stand by my assertions.

Which categories do you think they should have.  I welcome your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment