Tuesday, November 5, 2013

PIles of Flyers


 
I hate to say it, but I think they distribute too many flyers.  I hate to say it, because I like looking through the flyers.  I enjoy hunting down a deal.  I go over most of them, but I wonder if I need as many as I get?  More than half hit the recycle bin without even a glance.  I usually only keep the ones for food.  I might keep the electronics ones if there is something that I am planning on buying.

I don't want to put the printing guys out of business.  That is no small thing as it is a big business in my town.  I know that most of the flyers and catalogues are printed locally, but I am just wondering where that business will be in ten years?  We will all have probably gone digital and I will have to view the flyers on my tablet.  Most stores no longer deliver catalogues, and only a few of them have them if you ask.  I actually like catalogues and have kept the last Canadian Tire catalogue as a reminder of how things used to be.

It sounds far fetched, but the flyers are available online now, so how long before they stop delivering them?  How long before they become library collections.  Actually, Canadian Tire donated their complete catalogue and flyer collection to my University, and they had to build another building to house it all.  Someday, somebody will do their dissertation on the effects of Canadian Tire money on the Canadian economy.

As I write this, I realize, I had better not wish the flyers away.  I don't have a tablet and until e-flyers can turn their pages as quickly as paper ones can, I will not be satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment