Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Whatever Happened to Courtesy


 
Whatever happened to subway courtesy?  As we are completely insulated from human reaction with our smart phones and ipods, does that mean we no longer part of the human race?  Does that mean we no longer have to do what's right?  If I were to ask some of my fellow transit passengers, they would probably say yes to that.

The two things which illustrate this breakdown quite succinctly are that people don't let passengers get off the subway before they try to enter (I have straight-armed two people to prevent this from happening in the past 12 months) and that some people don't follow the stand right, walk left rule any more.

There used to be announcements reminding people of their duties in these two areas.  I remember that preachy loudspeaker reminding people to allow people to disembark before boarding the train.  In those days the speakers usually turned peoples voices into background noise--at least that is what seemed to happen when any important information was broadcast.  However, that message seemed quite clear.

As for the escalators, there used to be good signs that explained the two sides of the escalator.  Those signs are gone now.  I heard that they had to get rid of them because someone might get hurt, and sue the transit company.  This seems ridiculous.  Why should the transit company care for you if you have never learned to walk up a bunch of stairs.

It would be nice if someone would reinstate these traditions.  I would welcome them, and I am sure I am not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment