Friday, September 28, 2012

The Friday Phenomenon


 
 
It's Friday.  The weekend is here.  Everything is good.  Just one question.  Why....why does the price of gas suddenly climb on a Friday morning?  To  be clear, the gas price suddenly rose Thursday shortly after midnight.  How shortly?  When it goes up it is probably milliseconds after midnight, but when it goes down, they probably spend a few minutes making sure that a price decrease is really called for.  Of course, this decrease is never on a Thursday night.

I guess I should relax, and not let this gouging rile me up.  I get a free couple of days off, and the oil companies get my money.  Some might see that as an equitable trade.  Some might say that happiness needs to be tempered by some cold hard realism.  If anyone out there really believes any of that..... you might be reading the wrong blog.

I think the price of gas went up by four cents a litre.  For my car, that works out to about $1.60.  I guess that explains the real lack of righteous indignation.  In addition, some of my students told me about the price of gas in their countries.  Amazingly, some people are paying $2.50 a litre and others are paying $0.16 a litre.  Getting this information the way I did, created in me a sense of relief and a wall of tears at the same time.


4 comments:

  1. I think we pay the same as you for a litre, but in our currency, of course.

    I know that in Venezuela the oil is almost free, the price is unbeliavable, like $0.16 or less.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A student from Venezuela said that they pay very little for gas, but they pay a lot for cars. However, one of your countrymen said that you paid a lot for gas, and a lot for cars. I don't really know, but I guess betwween carmakers and oil companies we have to spend a lot of money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's true, do you still remember when I said that a toyota Corolla cost here CAD$35,000.00? hehe, and the gas is expensive too... I think that someone think we are rich to spend all our money on a big piece of metal with wheels

      Delete
  3. I will check the price on Monday morning and update you all on how it has changed.

    ReplyDelete