Saturday, September 15, 2012


Technology is pretty amazing.  These days we can carry around thousands of songs on a variety of devices.  Laptops, tablets, smart phones and mp3 players have changed the way we listen to music.  We have come a long way.

Too bad we have also slipped a long way as well.  What I mean is, we have great technology being utilized by selfish and stupid people.  Everyday on my bus I am subjected to other people's musical choices for several reasons that I cannot comprehend.  These might include:

  1. People buying headphones that are uncomfortable, but are considered cool by their friends.
  2. People forgot their headphones, so figure using their cell phone speaker a suitable substitute.
  3. People want to share their musical choices with everyone on the bus.
  4. Sometimes they play the music so loud that it can be heard by everyone, despite the fact that the person is actually using headphones.

All I can say is that none of these reasons are good,.

  1. If you bought headphones, use them.  They are supposed to allow you to hear your music when the outside world is too noisy.  Not the other way around,.
  2. Your cell phone speaker is too small and tinny to make your music sound good.  Even if your music is good, it won't sound good when it comes over those crappy tiny speakers. 
  3. If you truly want to share you music, play it through good speakers so it can truly be appreciated.
  4. I was young once.  I didn't care about my hearing once.  Now that I am over 40, I feel sad that I now need a hearing aid.  That's just the way it goes.

Do I blame these people?  Not really.  The basic facts are that they live in a world where selfishness is expected.  They live in a world where you should only really think about yourself.  They live in a world where thinking about other people seems like a waste of time.  Of course they live in a world where their parents didn't really scold them well enough.  I can't be like Russell Peters and advocate hitting your children.... but sometimes I wonder .

3 comments:

  1. "The basic facts are that they live in a world where selfishness is expected. They live in a world where you should only really think about yourself."

    that's the true...
    here in Brazil, every time that I ride the bus to school, some stupid person is hearing loud music on his cell phone... it's really terrible. a few months ago I was looking for a good and powerful system sound to connect to my mp3 player and put it very loud beside these kind of people on the busses, and I would play some Pantera or Slayer sound on the maximum volume...
    I can't do what they do, if I haven't an earphone to listen to my music, I prefer not to put it on the cell phone speakers, because I know how I would feel if I would be someone on the same place as me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see that. If you did it and made a video of it, you would be a youtube star.

    While I had never considered your idea, I did think of "accidentally" spilling water on these expensive devices.

    ReplyDelete