Sunday, July 20, 2014

Insidious Advertising


On my hobby blog post I wrote about having tool lust and wanting to spend money on an pricey bike stand.  I appreciate the response people have been giving me and I am glad that some of you have found that blog and checked it out.  The funny thing is that blog post has had some rather interesting consequences.

With that post, I did spend some time checking out the various bike stands on offer at Amazon.  As a result, every site I have visited recently has had an add (from Amazon) featuring the various bike stands and bike tools that I visited before writing the piece.  On one hand, this is good marketing.  On the other hand, it makes me think that big brother is really watching me, and plotting my life out for me.

I realized this is a function of advertising, coupled with my viewing history.  I know that I am the one responsible, and that no mastermind computer is tracking my every move, or anticipating my every move.  However, maybe that day isn't as far off as it seems.  Maybe one day, you'll walk into a supermarket and half of your car will already be packed for you--the supermarket knowing what you buy every time you shop there.  I already get coupons or bonus points for things they have noticed that I buy a lot of.  (Again, I know I gave them this information.... but still)

Perhaps I go to far... for now.  We'll talk again in a year or two, and then we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment