Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Gift Card Season


 
 
While I am by no means so organized that I am shopping for Christmas right now, I am thinking a bit about it.  Perhaps that is because is will only be another day or two before the Christmas decorations rear their pretty heads--I haven't actually been shopping, so it might have already happened.  This blog is not a rant about selling Christmas before Halloween is over, it just has a Christmas theme.

Family traditions are what they are, but lately, I notice that more people give gift cards rather than actual presents.  There are several reasons for this, and they seem sound.

  1. It's easier than shopping for something.
  2. The people getting the gift have given no hints (subtle or not so subtle) as to what they want.
  3. They are likely to return your gift anyway, so this saves the intermediate step.
  4. They can get what they want (though if they couldn't give you any hints, it probably means they don't know what they want.)
  5. Gift cards are an easy fallback--and for all those guys doing their shopping on the 24th, what a great fallback it is.
  6. Gift cards are easily re-gifted.
  7. They are easy to wrap.  They often come with their own envelopes.
  8. Transporting them is easy.
  9. They've become so popular you can even get them at the gas station.
  10. People, except young children, do not express disappointment in getting them.

I guess, I just miss the excitement of getting a gift.  Usually when people ask me what I want, I can give them about ten ideas.  I usually keep a list of things that I want, and when people ask me, I email it to them.  I have even gone so far as to point out which stores offer the best deals on that particular item (and yes, it is often Amazon).

I do not know what Christmas has in store for anyone in my family, but I am starting on my list today.  And to make it easy, I will even include some ideas of where I want gift cards from.

No comments:

Post a Comment